Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Donnie Wahlberg - School Days

I went to kindergarten by my house, but after that, I went ont he bus to the William Monroe Trotter School in the next neighborhood over, which was Roxbury.

A few of my brothers and sisters - Jimbo, Bobbo, Tracey went to the Trotter School before me, so I didn't think about it, about being bused to school. That's the way it was. It wasn't as if I had walked to a neighborhood school for four years and suddenly got bused to another one - being bused was always the way it was. So that's all I knew.

Danny Wood was on my bus that first year, but I didn't really know him. I know that Jimbo knew his sister, but we didn't really start hanging out that much in elementary school. We didn't have that many classes together. Till high school really, we were in hardly any of the same classes at all. Middle school's when we started getting together, when we hooked up with these two girls, and that's when we started hanging out.

I was real smart as a kid. I always got good grades, until certain point in my life, when I started goofing around.

Middle school was my favorite, that and my first two years in high school. It was the wildest, the funnest, the craziest. Middle school I was happiest. In high school, I started worrying about things, not important things. When I was in elementary school and middle school, I was worried about doing good work and other things. But when I got into high school, I started worrying about what I looked like. I mean, I always liked to look good, I like to dress good. In middle school I didn't really care what I looked like. Once, I had some teeth knocked out playing hockey - they were broken in half - but I didn't care, I loved it. Now they're capped.

In high school I started getting zits and I started caring that I had zits. But one thing I like about high school was when I got into drama class. We put on some great plays. In one of them, I was the only guy in the whole play - all the rest were girls, but I didn't care. We did one where I played the husband in an interracial marriage and there a scene where I was apologizing to my wife for the hard life we'd had. It was really moving and I cried real tears.

Sports was my main thing after school when I was in the early grades, anyway. Mostly I played in the streets. I got into organized sports twice. I played basketball once and we lost the championship. And I played baseball one season and we won the championship. That was great. I loved it when we won.

Next: Donnie Wahlberg - Musical Roots...

No comments:

Post a Comment