Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jordan Knight

I was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, on May 17, 1970. We didn't live there, that's just where the hospital was. My mom, Marlene, comes from Canada, and she always wanted to give one of her children names that represented the two cultures of Canada, English and French. So my full name is Jordan Nathaniel Marcel Knight. I was the sixth child in the family. Before me were Allison, Sharon, David, Christopher and Jonathan.

The first house I lived in was in a Boston suburb called Westwood. In that house all four of us boys shared one bunk bed, two on top and two on the bottom. I always shared with Jonathan.

I was close to all of my brothers and sisters, but growing up, I was closer to different ones at different times. I was always close to Jonathan. I was close to Dave when I was very little and then again when I was around ten years old. Dave and I used to play soccer together, we used to be in the neighborhood leagues. I think sports brought us together and music too. We liked the same music.

Then, around twelve, thirteen, I started bein' real close to Chris. We would hang out with the same people, and we went out a lot together.

Even though I was closest to my brothers, I'm really most like my sister Allison in my personality. Allison is real quiet, real shy, and I think we both have the same problem with communicating with people one-on-one. I have a lot of trouble talkin' to individuals and havin' a conversation with one person. But yet when I get on stage, in front of 15,000 people, I just let loose. It's really weird and I don't understand it.

I was tiny back then. I used to be the littlest kid. I used to look like a girl, with this long curly hair, and when I would walk into stores, people wouldn't know what to call me, a boy or a girl. I had chubby cheeks and stuff, and everyone used to love grabbing my cheeks.

My dad, Allan, was a carpenter and also a minister. When we lived in Westwood, he had his own church where he was the preacher. My mom is a social worker who specialized in family therapy.

I was lucky to have the parents I did, 'cause they weren't strict., not at all. They always really cared, we always knew that they cared, but they let us do what we wanted to do and be independent. As long as we got our chores done and stuff, that is. When I'm a parent someday, I think I'll be like them.

When I was almost three, we moved to this really big old house in Dorchester. It had something like seventeen rooms and ten bedrooms. People used to get lost when they'd come to my house! But in the beginning, there were other people living in the house, it was three families. So at first, it was crowded, real squishy, and all the boys were still in the same room. This time we had two beds, not bunk beds. But I was still sharing with Jonathan. Eventually, the two other families moved out and we had the whole house. But I didn't get to have my own room then - in fact, I didn't have my own room until I was sixteen - 'cause when the other families moved out, I started sharing with foster kids that came to live with us.

Next: Jordan Knight - An Extended Family....

1 comment:

  1. Such a blessing to have a big family and easy going parents

    ReplyDelete